For children to develop a productive view of themselves as authors they must engage in meaningful writing experiences. These experiences must be relevant to their lives and allow them to successfully connect with other people. The writing activities in this eCourse are meant to help young authors develop their sense of voice and enthusiasm for writing. Children will learn how to see themselves as authors and to see the world through the eyes of a writer. Participants will learn a variety of strategies and techniques for generating ideas and producing meaningful writing.
Starting a Writer’s Notebook includes:
- Video for parents and teachers that provides tips on how to support the writing lives of their children
- Kid’s video introduction, which sets the tone for understanding the power of writing, seeing the world through the eyes of a writer, and how to use a writer’s notebook as an important tool for collecting and organizing thoughts
- Kid’s video that talks about choosing a writer’s notebook and how to make it your own
- A series of video-based writing prompts along with the corresponding printables, which encourage children to generate ideas and write about the things that matter most to them
- All printables needed to complete the activities
Activities (videos + printables) Include:
- What is a Writer’s Notebook?
- Choosing a Writer’s Notebook
- Things to Write About
- Heart Map
- Author Share